How To Prevent Lost Pets
Losing a pet is every pet owners worst nightmare. The thought of never seeing our furry family member ever again is enough to send shivers down the neck of even the most stoic of owners.
However, there are certain things you can do to keep your pets safe and reduce the likelihood that they’ll become lost or stolen. This is what the Animal Humane Society recommends as the best ways to prevent losing your pet:
- Your Pet Should Wear a Collar with ID tags at all times. Include an up-to-date phone number where you can be reached. ID tags are available at each AHS facility. We have a great selection of Custom Collars Here.
- Have your Pet Microchipped. Mandatory in many countries across the globe, microchips are an implanted form of identification equipped to access your contact information when scanned at a veterinary clinic or shelter.
- Spay / Neuter your Pet. Studies have shown that sterilized animals are less likely to roam due to a decrease of certain hormones.
- Keep them Safe When You’re Out and About. Animals love the outdoors but it is our responsibility to protect them. Always leash your animals when outside. Keep them close to home and away from traffic, unfamiliar animals and those who may not concern themselves with your pet’s best interests.
- Leave Them Comfortable at Home. Never leave your dog leashed outside a store or unattended in the car, even if it’s locked or the windows are rolled down. This reduces their anxiety and makes them less prone to negative behaviour. Check out our #1 Anxiety Reducing Bed Here that's a great start to perfect your pet's environment.
We're a family-run business with a mission of making proud pet owners lives easier by providing high-quality information, content & products. Help fight the plight of our best friends and make it a better world for pets all across the world.